On the 4th of August 1968, we started our journey of emancipation of knowledge as Krishnagar College of Commerce to address the people’s ardent necessity and interest in Commerce Education. Back in those days, the new-born college arranged all its classes at the premises of Debnath High School. After a year the classrooms shifted to Krishnagar Anglo Vernacular High School till 1970 when the College acquired its place at the current location of its presence. As it started growing with time, it began to embrace multiple disciplines into its arena of courses. It was in 1993 that Krishnagar College of Commerce came with the new name of Dwijendralal College as a tribute to the great poet and freedom- fighter of the land Sri Dwijendralal Roy and also as an obvert hint to its expanding interest in diversification following the path of the versatile legend with which it is eponymously connected. Thus in 2003, a diversification of the institution took place with the expansion of curricular and pedagogical emphasis to disciplines of Humanities along with Commerce Education.
Today the college extends over two campuses in the city of Krishnagar with undergraduate and postgraduate courses on various disciplines of Humanities and Commerce and is recognized under section 2(f) and included under section 12 (B) of UGC Act 1956, vide letter number UGC/3511-52L-8 dated 31/03/1993. In the initial stage, the college was affiliated with the University of Calcutta and now holds an affiliation with the University of Kalyani since 1999. The college that once started to impart knowledge in lighted classrooms amidst the dark of night now shines day-bright with its NAAC accredited version and RUSA backed infrastructural, teaching-learning facilities.